October 14, 2022
Mauritius Metro Project and Urban Mass rapid system serving its capital city of Port Louis designed to be a dual line, light trail transit system connecting a distance of 26 KMs in the first phase, between cure pipe to immigration square. The project has a total of 19 stations and two stations will be elevated. The alignment was designed to interconnect between 4 multi model road transport junctions. The project was awarded to L&T Rail Business Division to design, built and handover in 3 years’ time period. To provide the commuters a comfortable and faster mode of transportation. The EPC project vendor selected the top notch rolling stock, signaling systems, traction systems, passenger ticketing systems were selected from reputed vendors. The first phase of the project went live in 2020. The expansion project from curepipe to airport is underway and expected to commence in 2023.
The Business Challenges
● Port louis – being a thickly populated and commuters have the road transportation only to attend the daily needs and business commute. The road traffic at peak hours has resulted in reduction of mobility and waste of natural resources.
● L&T with its vast experience in handling large turnkey projects has presented effective designs and feasible solutions in providing infrastructure that can reduce the travel times and sustain the growth for few decades.
● The entire project is to be planned as Eco friendly, fully automated, and best-in-class transportation framework that will contribute to reduction in carbon footprints and overall pollution using Regenerative Braking Technology (RBT) and running on Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) technology. To keep track and Manage Equipment used for maintenance (specific and heavy tools and equipment, metrological devices etc.) will be major issue
● The entire Metro Rail operations are designed as Comfortable air-conditioned coaches that will reduce commuting time across the city. For an uninterrupted commute prior Predict demand and optimize capacity and assets, improve operational efficiency while reducing environmental impact, optimizing inventory levels & reducing costs is a crucial task.
● To maintain and operate the world class infrastructure for better revenue realisation, L&T envisaged to install a good IT infrastructure at its depot, operational control center a best of breed IT solution is required to automate the capital infrastructure to bring visibility in operations and monitor the performance.
● To automate the maintenance operations an industry specific asset management solution was proposed, to track every asset in Mauritius Metro’s network over its entire lifespan, in meeting regulatory guidelines, safety parameters of key enterprise functions to enable improved decision-making and process optimization.
How Envision’s Asset Management Competency in Metro Rail Domain, assisted Marutius Metro in enhancing operational efficiency to improve visibility, and control
● Envision team had deep discussions with key stake holders in identifying the key challenges, assessing the business objectives and roadmap for project success.
● After Detailed deliberations Envision team has drafted a blue print document in identifying the project deliverables, timelines and resource augmentation.
● Envision proposed the best of breed industry solution – IBM MAXIMO, the roles defined the business process and RACI matrix.
● Integration to SCADA system for real time track and monitor of field devices. Mobile app for field engineers communication.
● Identified the Major modules are asset Management, Asset configuration manager, Work Management Module, Planning Module, maintenance Module, labour Management Module, Asset hierarchy configuration, scheduler, linear Asset Management, Materials Management, Procurement Module, Contracts, Workflow, dashboards , KPI’S and Reports.
● Integration to Major metro rail subsystems, for condition-based maintenance, corrective maintenance for optimum TAT.
● Configure and administer Maximo software role-based, create asset hierarchy with associated SOPS, labour and tools to undertake OEM prescribed maintenance Schedules, thereby bringing the Mauritius Metro Assets to a single platform.
● Facility to capture the asset data accurately from all configured equipment’s and Metro subsystems to auto generate work orders for proactive maintenance and asset availability.
● It Helped Mauritius Metro to implement best practices for maintenance and operations of its metro network.
● Automate business processes across the enterprise; improve efficiencies with interface of external systems with Maximo EAM, Increased labor utilization and asset reliability.
● Ability to manage OEM spares, warranty spares and procured spares as per the requirement.
● Able to track all warranties and defect liability period commitments, saved huge cost to metro rail.
● Efficient planning of jobs with seamless integration between all operations. With Graphical Workflow, maintenance team could be able to perform jobs with optimum labor. This also helped to reduce the turnaround time of each maintenance job.
● Real time access to up-to-date asset information, service requests and preventive maintenance schedules enabled efficient job scheduling to minimize operational inturruptions
● Able to manage the configuration of complex assets and meet regulatory requirements.
● Extended life of fixed asset investments
● Improved process efficiency by virtue of asset management and ERP process integration.
(This case study is summary of our engagement, not formally approved by customer. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for objections/feedback/queries.)